- LECHAL / LECHAZO: aged one and a half months, 9 kilos, milk fed, white tender meat, smooth and unique flavor, the most expensive of all.
- RECENTAL: aged 4 months, 9-16 kilos, not milk feeding anymore, has more fat and flavor, meat is more pink, it is less expensive and the most popular, mostly used for BBQ or stews.
- PASCUAL: aged 5 months/1 year, + 16 kilos, quite more fat, strong flavor and less popular.
- CARNERO / OVINO MAYOR: aged + 1 year, hard meat, for exportation and processed food.
- 1/2 young Lamb
- 5 medium Potatoes
- 50 g. Pork lard
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 glass of White wine
- 1 spoonful Vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Course sea salt
Así lo hacemos:
- Preheat oven at 180°C – 350°F.
- Spread lard all over the lamb.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Place it on a roasting dish.
- Cook it for about 40 min.
- Remove it from the dish, set aside.
- Place the potatoes on the dish.
- Turn the lamb, so it’s cooked on both sides.
- Put the lamb back on the dish.
- Peel the cloves.
- Place it in a mortar with sea salt, a dash of vinegar and a couple of teaspoons of the lamb gravy.
- Crush and toss the mixture all over the lamb.
- Add white wine.
- Cook it 40 minutes longer.
- Serve the lamb hot with the gravy in a sauceboat.