- 2 ltr whole milk
- 250 gr tiny minced serrano ham
- 1 big onion or 2 medium size
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 spoonful olive oil
- 2 spoonful wheat flour
- For frying:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
Así lo hacemos:
- Heat medium a large non-stick frying pan. Add a spoonful of oil.
- Stir-fry the onion diced tiny.
- Add the ham. Fry it lightly and set aside.
- In the same pan, low heat, fry the flour. When it gets a nice golden color, pour quite slowly the milk and stir.
- Add the nutmeg. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon, this process will take almost half an hour... Be patient!
- When the dough is thick enough to not stick to the pan anymore, then add the fried onion & ham and stir.
- Place all the dough in shallow bowl or baking pan until it cools completely. It makes way easier handling the dough for molding.
- Use a soup spoon to get the right amount of dough for each 'croqueta'.
- Make egg-shaped balls or rolls.
- Bread them first in beaten eggs and then in breadcrumbs.
- When all 'croquetas' are already coated, fry them deeply in hot oil until they get a light brown color.
- They must be creamy and moist inside and crusty outside.
- Place them in a dish, with a paper towel to absorb the exceed of oil.
- Serve them hot or warm.